I consider myself to be a Christian and thus the foundation of my morals and values is based on God’s word, the Bible. My relationship with Jesus Christ directs my life, thoughts, and actions. In order of importance, I value and honor my relationship with God first, followed by my husband Ryan whom I dated for nine years and have been happily married to for two years. I also cherish my baby Ethan who is 16 months old. He is what keeps me motivated to finish my last year of college. In addition, I value all of my relationships I have with the rest of my family since I love them all very much.
The good and bad circumstances that I encounter with my family do not impact my character. I wholeheartedly believe that “I can do all things through Christ who is my strength” (Philippians 4:13).
All of my past experiences have shaped who I am today and affect the things and people I value. For instance, if I had been raised in a poor family rather than a middle class family I would not have had the opportunity to attend a private Christian school when I was young. I may not have done as well academically when I switched to public school in the fifth grade. In addition, I became well educated about the Bible and Christianity in private school and would not have had that foundation if it were not for my parents.
When I was 12 years old my parents got divorced, which had a huge impact on my life. Being a pre-teen was a rough age to experience such a major change. It affected my view on relationships and marriage. I often wonder if their divorce is what steered me towards many bad relationships at such a young age. I had such a strong need for affection to fill my void of loneliness and despair, which caused me to find love in the wrong places. I wonder if my parents were still married today what my life would be like. I know it would be completely different than it is now.
Looking back now that I am older I realize that everything in life happens for a reason and my experiences have definitely molded me into the person I am today. Having a baby has changed my outlook on life. It now makes sense to me why my parents did the things they did. I now realize how important it is to try to set an example for your child and raise them with morals and values.
My relationship to the world around me seems like a whirlwind because I currently have a busy lifestyle. Being a full-time wife, mother, and student I have to be extra careful how I manage my time and whom I devote time to. I have a responsibility to my husband and son to be a good wife and mother. In order to better our family I know I must obtain my bachelor’s degree, which is why I currently have the responsibility to finish school.
I feel my responsibility to the planet is to protect it and take care of God’s handiwork by keeping it clean and by being environmentally friendly. The way we treat the planet today will affect my son’s future. There is no planet that is as phenomenal as planet earth. Within my time and financial restraints I comply with “earth-friendly” directives.
I rely on my faith with absolute certainty to give me answers on life. By trusting God, I accept my life why I was born when I was and as an American citizen, why I was born into my particular family, why I got pregnant when I did, and why I met my husband at such a young age. Some of the things I also know for sure are why I decided to attend the University of La Verne, why I decided to get married, and why I put my baby’s needs before mine.
I wanted to attend the University of La Verne because of their outstanding communications department. I knew without a doubt that I was ready for marriage because I dated my husband for many years and was ready for the next level of commitment. I put my baby’s needs before mine because he is a part of me and I love him unconditionally. I know the strong impact parents can have in raising a baby, especially during the first couple of years as their brain develops and absorbs everything like a sponge.
At a young age my parents and teachers told me that Christ died for my sins and rose again, so I will live in heaven with Him for eternity. The ethics and morals in my household were modeled after Jesus Christ and I was taught the importance of glorifying Him. My belief meets my need for love, peace and contentment. No matter how rocky things get in my life I have comfort in knowing that I can turn to God through prayer when I feel like I have nowhere else to turn. He is what keeps me motivated to better myself and try to live each day to the fullest.
According to my beliefs that God created the world, when I die I will go to heaven to see Him and other believers. This information definitely influences how I live each day because it gives my life a purpose and a meaning. During the tough times I have encountered I would have wanted to give up a long time ago if I had not believed in God.
I know what right and wrong is because of what I was taught at a young age by my parents and teachers. My understanding of right and wrong was different when I was a teenager than it is now. I thought it was wrong and not fair that I had a curfew, could not go on dates alone and had to attend school everyday.
Now that I am a parent I realize the importance of standards of behavior and the necessity of implementation. I try to refrain from doing wrong because I do not want to sin and disappoint God, my family and myself. The opposite holds true for what compels me to do right. I want God and my family to approve of my actions. When I have to make difficult decisions or choose goals I consider the consequences of my actions. Even though it is not always easy, I try to think before I act.
I choose to get up every morning because I treasure each day because each and every day is a gift of God. At this stage in my life I have many roles and responsibilities. First of all, I am a young woman of God, a wife, mother, daughter, daughter-in-law, granddaughter, sister, aunt, cousin, friend, and college student. My goal is to find a proper balance and meet the needs of these varied relationships.
Guiding principles for me are from the word of God – “He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God” (Micah 6:8).” “And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever” (1 Chronicles 28:9).
No comments:
Post a Comment