Even though the rewards and blessings of raising children are endless, there is literally a price to pay. Fortunately, there are ways to save money if you diligently integrate them into your daily life. One way to track baby or child costs is to do it online at: www.babycenter.com, click on “tools” (located on the left-hand side), and enter your information.
One downside to bargain hunting is that it can be addicting if you don’t set limits and boundaries. You shouldn’t always buy something just because it’s on sale. It’s best to live within your personal budget and determine needs versus wants. Just like many other things in life…moderation is key.
Keep in mind that while some people consider bargain hunting a hobby, it is not for everyone. It requires time, planning, and organization.
The must-have book every parent should own is Baby Bargains, by Denise and Alan Fields. The authors are consumer advocated who have been featured on Oprah, The Today Show, Good Morning America, and Dateline NBC. Toddler Bargains is another one of their best-selling books.
According to the Fields, Baby Bargains “actually answers the big question about having a baby: How am I going to afford all this? With the average cost of a baby topping $6000 for just the first year alone, you need creative solutions and innovative ideas to navigate the consumer maze that confronts all parents-to-be.”
New York Times called it “The Bible for new parents!” For more information visit their web site at: www.windsorpeak.com.
Here are some ways that I incorporate bargaining into my lifestyle, places I like to shop, and some of my favorite baby items. I will not list them all, so if you have an inquiry please feel free to post a comment. I will respond the best I can, based on my own experience.
Crib
My husband and I searched in many stores and online for a good quality, reasonably priced crib to be used for Ethan and our future babies. After reading many reviews and talking to other parents we discovered the brand, Million Dollar Baby (www.milliondollarbaby.com). They also have toddler beds, dressers, changing tables, and cradles in many styles and colors. We bought the 3-in-1 convertible crib - brand new from a local consignment store and love it! My only complaint is that the teething rail has minimal coverage. Luckily, the paint Ethan managed to consume is non-toxic. I highly suggest buying the Leachco Easy Teether Crib Rail Cover online, which is available in several different colors to solve the problem. It’s worth every penny.
Dresser/Changing Table
One way to save money is to purchase an all-in-one dresser and changing table. An even better way to save money is to purchase a regular dresser, at the appropriate height and put the changing pad on top. Again, after searching numerous stores I came across a sofa table at a local furniture store. I would have never guessed it could transform into such a wonderful dresser/changing table. It is called Coastal Way Black by Broyhill and also comes in white. If you’re interested you can view it under living room tables at: www.broyhillfurniture.com.
Rocker
If there is one thing you should splurge on it should be a nice comfy chair, since this is where you will spend most of your time with your baby. Even though Ethan is over a year old we still use it all the time for reading, cuddling, nursing, and rocking. We used a regular old rocking chair until one day my husband said, “Hunny, we need to think about getting a glider-rocker since Ethan and I barely fit in the one we have.” I immediately opened my trusty Baby Bargains book and looked up the ratings. We spent several days checking them out in different stores and settled on one that met our needs and was within our budget. We purchased a Best Chair glider-rocker and a matching ottoman, which received an “A” rating. We chose from over 100 fabrics and several colors of wood to match our baby furniture. Delivery took about 4-6 weeks. For a store near you visit: www.bestchair.com or www.usababy.com. This is definitely one of our favorite baby items!
Clothing
My tip for clothing is to buy baby items as needed, since sizes fluctuate and seasons change. Keep tags on and wash once the clothes fit and keep all receipts together. It’s nice to trade clothes with friends, family or a church group since babies grow like weeds.
Here are some of my favorite places to buy baby clothing (and other items):
- Department stores – Macys, Sears, JCPenney, Nordstrom
- Specialty chains – Old Navy, Gap, The Children’s Place
- Discount stores – Wal-Mart, Target
- Baby Superstore – Babies R Us
- Warehouse Club – Costco
- Outlets – Gap, Carter’s, Oshkosh
- The Web – www.amazon.com, www.babycenter.com, and some of the stores listed above
- Consignment stores – Most of these stores carry name brand clothes in great condition. I’ve even found clothes at my local store that were brand new with tags on them for much cheaper than the retail price.
My son has always had chubby feet and difficulty fitting in most shoes. In my quest for finding some that fit I’ve discovered my two favorite brands - Pedipeds and Stride Rite. To purchase or find a store near you, check out the following web sites: www.pedipeds.com, www.babyshoesource.com, www.shoebuy.com, and www.striderite.com. There are also Stride Rite outlets that sell shoes for a fraction of the retail price. I recently found coupon codes online by doing a Google search for “shoebuy coupon codes”, which allowed me to get 20 percent off, plus another 10 percent off when I registered on their web site. I practically got two pairs of Stride-Rites for the price of one. What a deal!
Diapers/Wipes
I’ve tried many different brands of diapers, including Costco’s brand. My favorite brand is Pampers. When it comes down to cheap diapers and leaking versus higher quality and no leaking, I’d rather spend the extra money on Pampers. I use coupons and buy them on sale as much as possible. I have found Costco’s Kirkland brand to have the best deal for high quality diaper wipes.
Breastfeeding Essentials
I purchased the handheld Medela Single Deluxe Electric Breastpump. It is lightweight, compact, portable, reasonably priced, and perfect for occasional pumping. I purchased mine from Mama Rhythms at: www.mamarhythms.com. I used it for a whole year and never had any problems, but did have to purchase a larger shield for added comfort. I purchased a brand new Medela Cooler Carrier with ice pack, collection containers, and lids on eBay. After struggling to keep blankets on my shoulder when nursing in public, I discovered the Hooter Hider/Bebe Au Lait nursing cover. I purchased mine online at: www.mom4life.com because they seemed to have the best selection, but you can also get them on other web sites (including eBay). If you sign up for the Mom 4 Life newsletter you will get five percent off your order. This is one breastfeeding essential that made my life a whole lot easier!
Baby Food
A great way to save money is to make your own baby food. I don’t cook and don’t have the time or patience to make my own, so I will admit that I buy mine. I occasionally grind up bananas in a food grinder; boil, steam and freeze vegetables for finger food; and puree and freeze avocados, but that’s as far as I go. I purchase baby food at Henry’s, Target, and Wal-Mart. My favorite brand is Earth’s Best Organic Infant Foods because the vegetables and grains are organically grown, without potentially harmful pesticides or herbicides. It received an “A” rating in Baby Bargains. I occasionally buy Gerber’s Organic baby food when it’s on sale, but it’s not my first choice. I always use coupons for baby food. Go to: www.earthbest.com for more information and to print free coupons.
High Chair
My husband and I bought the Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair from Target. It easily straps onto dining room or kitchen chairs. It also reclines and conveniently coverts to a toddler booster seat. We’ve even used it at other people’s houses. For only $50 we couldn’t be happier with it.
Car seat/Stroller
After reading the excellent reviews in Baby Bargains and talking to other mothers I decided to check out the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio travel system. It includes an infant car seat that snaps into the frame of the matching stroller. It was half of the regular retail price on eBay when it was purchased for us as a gift in 2006 by buying the 2005 model. I was proud of finding such a great bargain!
Carrier
Baby carriers are a “must-have” item for moms, especially if you have a big baby. They free up your hands, allow you to get exercise, calm a fussy baby, and help distribute your baby’s weight properly. My brother and sister-in-law bought me the Moby Wrap (www.mobywrap.com) and I used it until Ethan was 7-months-old. Once he outgrew it they told me about The ERGO Baby Carrier (www.ergobabycarrier.com). I bought it online and will continue to use it for as long as possible. These two products have definitely been money well spent.
What are some ways that you incorporate bargaining into your lifestyle, places you like to shop, and some of your favorite baby items? I would love for you to tell me by posting a comment. Thank you!
9 comments:
I love to shop for shoes online, because I can usually get free shipping, free return shipping and an extra coupon discount. You mentioned Shoebuy, which is my favorite online shoes store. I love those coupon discounts! I usually check CouponHeaven.com for codes, and I can see that they have a 20% off code and a $10 off $30 code for Shoebuy.com at: http://www.couponheaven.com/merchant.cfm/shoebuy - cool!
My husband is great at bargain hunting online - for instance, we just got a Britax carseat for J for about 1/2 the retail price with free shipping! Great deal.
I was also making my own baby food, but honestly, it's just more fun to start giving babes table food. I started J on table food around 7 months, just soft things like little chunks of banana, avacado, grapes, peas, beans. Now that he's almost 9 months he can feed himself and he loves it. Plus I stopped the hassle of blending up food, freezing it, storing it, etc.
I also love consignment shops. I also try to shop at the outlets whenever possible. Children's place outlet has some great deals - I've gotten pants and shirts for $2.99 and $3.99.
And the borrowing from friends - priceless. We have borrowed most of our big toys - exersaucer, jumparoo, etc - that way when he's done with them, we don't have to store them. There is also a great website called www.babyplays.com that you can rent toys from. I haven't done it but the concept sounds great!
I am a huge bargain shopper! I love looking for deals. My two best deals are wipes and diapers. (well if we are talking about babies) I buy all my diapers at CVS. I only buy them when they have a money back option, called ECBS. You use them like cash in the store. My favorite brand is huggies but they also have the sales on Pampers. I also wait for coupons for the wipes and stock up basically for free. I only pay tax.
I also attempted to make my own baby food. But failed. It was a lot of work and time, but I did it for the first month and felt good about it at that point. I now feed Brandon, beechnut. Its my favorite even over the organic because of the texture. Its very thick and easy to feed. I also find coupons all the time. Or I option buy my coupons on ebay.
I visit consignment shops and outlets frequently. I try to buy when its cheap rather than when I need it. This way I am insuring I get the cheapest prices.
I also bought a lot of things from my friend who’s baby is 9months older than mine. I bought a portable swing, a rocking chair and a walker.
Now if I could just find a deal on a carseat. I can't find one I love, with the price I want.
I'll be honest, I'm a good bargain shopper, but not when it comes to using coupons. I agree with you about the importance of saving money when it comes to raising a child. After reading this article, I am going to be more proactive about using coupons. I also used Earths Best Organic baby food and found that it is actually cheaper than Gerber Organic. I also purchased the Hooter Hider on Mom4Life.com, but later found it on Ebay for half the price. I bought a Britax car seat for 1/2 the price, with free shipping online, and one day shipping. I've been very blessed to have friends and family that have given me toys, clothing, a changing table, bassinet, a Hooter Hider, and Exersaucer, I have been very good at keeping tags on clothing, since a lot of people have given me clothes as gifts that are the wrong size for the season. Luckily, I am able to exchange them for something appropriate for that particular time of year that fits. I wish I had heard about the Ergo Baby Carrier before purchasing the Baby Bjorn. I love yours Amber and agree that even though it's expensive it's worth it! Sorry this is long, but last but not least... I have to mention the deal I found on hair bows for my daughter. It's easy to find infant hair accessories, but difficult to find ones for toddlers. I finally found bows with attached velcro that actually stay in her hair on eBay. If you're interested in these I can't find the actual link, but you can email the seller at: girlygirlsbows@yahoo.com. This blog was extremely helpful and inspired me to be more of a bargain hunter. :)
At SaleGrab (http://www.salegrab.com) we do all the bargain hunting, so you do just the bargain shopping.
About 80-90.000 bargains are listed everyday, from about 200-300 stores and the entire project is social shopping enabled too.
I love the Hooter Hider! I had a coupon for 20% off at a local boutique that carried it. It is worth every penny.
We decided to do cloth diapers to save on money. It was a bit of an initial investment, but it has saved so much in the long run. We buy the cheap disposables at the military commissary when we do need a disposable diaper (like church nursery). Since we don't use them often it is not such a big deal if they don't work the best. The cloth diapers are about to pay off even more since we are about to have a second child. No diaper cost for this one! yeah!
I love shopping at the local consignment stores. Walmart also has a nice selection of simple outfits/dresses- especially now for summer.
My little one was in corrective shoes for the first 10 months. But when she was going into regular shoes the orthopedic said not to spend money on StrideRite or anything expensive... he said that Payless will do just as well. After the corrective thing I wanted to make sure we got shoes that would continue supporting her feet and was glad to know the $10 ones would do as well as the $40. Plus, Payless has great sales and they even carry a leather line for little ones.
We too have found some great finds online. We just bought our double stroller for 1/2 the cost from albeebaby.com. They seem to run great deals on items and offer free shipping for large orders. Usually I just search online until I am sure I have found the best deal. It takes time but is well worth the savings. And I love ebay, but you have to do your research before you bid. Know how much you want to get it for and be willing to let it go if you get outbid.
I think one of the best tips I was given was to keep it simple. A baby doesn't need a nursery full of toys or a closet full of clothes. When you have too many they usually end up outgrowing them before they can wear them all anyways. I am keeping this in mind as I prepare for a second baby...
I stopped using Kirkland baby wipes after I found out what's in them (esp. since my son has sensitive skin).
According to the Environmental Working Group, "Wipes should leave babies clean - not exposed to traces of harmful chemicals. Choose wipes with fewer potential health concerns. Avoid wipes with added "fragrance" or preservatives like 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol (or Bronopol) and DMDM Hydantoin."
For more information, read my article about indoor air pollution.
I prefer to shop online for all my shopping needs as i get various discounts with use of coupons and free shipping offers. Recently bought a baby carrier from BabyUniverse at discounted prices and saved five dollars!
After writing this article I have discovered that Pampers and Kirkland diaper wipes are not good for children. They contain harmful ingredients in them. I now use Seventh Generation diaper wipes and love them since they're chlorine free and are much safer for delicate skin. My son hasn't had a diaper rash since I've made the switch. To find out more information about harmful ingredients in most diaper wipes, check out: www.cosmeticdatabase.org.
Post a Comment